At Thomson Reuters (Professional) Australia Limited (TR), a part of the global Thomson Reuters group of companies, we support the protection of your privacy rights as a fundamental element of our business. We recognise the importance of protecting your personal information and will ensure that our relationship is as exclusive as you want it to be.
To the extent TR collects and uses the personal information of its suppliers and business contacts, it will be held in accordance with this policy generally as varied by a Supplemental Statement.
What information do we collect?
In the course of doing business, TR may collect information about its customers such as: names, addresses, telephone numbers, credit card information and e-mail addresses; depending on the nature of the transaction with us.
Any information that personally identifies you may be used by TR to:
- inform you about products and services;
- improve the products and services we offer; and
- otherwise better meet the needs and preferences of our customers.
It should be clear each time why the information is being collected, for example, being asked to supply an address so a product can be shipped to you.We will not collect from you any sensitive information revealing your: race, ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union memberships or details of health or disability. Exceptions to this include:
- where you have given express consent to TR to do so;
- the use of this information is authorised by law or is considered reasonably necessary to enforce the law; or
- when the information is necessary for the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal claim.
TR's web sites record standard information such as time, date and URL of request (the web page you arrived from) via our web servers. This information is recorded by all web servers and is used to improve the functionality, structure and performance of our web sites.
We track the pattern of visitor usage across the sites by issuing an anonymous user ID via a cookie (a cookie is a small data packet given to your web browser by our web servers, the browser stores the message in a text file in your computer). This user ID is sent back to our servers each time you view a page from our servers. This ID is deleted at the end of your session.
In addition, we use a persistent cookie to hold user preferences on site operation. These preferences are accessed by your browser to configure the operation of the site to your requirements but are not downloaded back to our web servers. If you choose to save your password this will also be stored on your local machine in a persistent cookie not downloaded to the server.
Cookies can make using the sites easier for you by storing information about your preferences on the web sites. This will enable you to take full advantage of the services and features that our sites offer. If you prefer not to receive cookies, you may be able to change the settings of your Internet browser to disable cookies or to warn you when cookies are being used. This may preclude you from using some services or enhanced functionality.
How we use your personal information
In general, our policy is that we only use or disclose personal information for the purpose that was specifically or reasonably apparent at the time of collection. The personal information that you provide to us will be used in order to process your request as well as to assist you in subscribing to TR's products and services.
In the case of users of TR's e-recruitment services (such as cvmail or BigRedSky), who are job applicants, information provided when registering to use the service forms the basis for any job application and is only made available to the organisation that the user has specifically applied to. It will not be disclosed to any other organisation without the user's express authorisation.
We may use this personal information or data for another purpose if:
- you would reasonably expect us to use the personal information for that other purpose; and
- the other purpose is related to the original purpose of collection, for example, sending you correspondence on new features and services.
TR may use your personal information for the purposes of direct marketing in relation to promotional activities where it is impractical for us to gain consent. However, in these circumstances, we will provide an express opportunity when we contact you to decline receiving from TR specified marketing communications via an opt-out mechanism. This includes direct marketing material relating to all TR's products and services, details of which can be obtained from the homepage on our website at www.thomsonreuters.com.au.
By providing your home telephone number, you expressly consent to receive telemarketing calls from us, until such time as you tell us otherwise.
By providing your email address or mobile telephone number, you expressly consent to receive commercial electronic messages (such as email, SMS or MMS) until such time as you tell us otherwise.
At any time you may choose not to receive these marketing communications by contacting us at LTA.Privacy@thomsonreuters.com.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
TR may be required by law enforcement or judicial authorities to provide personal information to appropriate governmental authorities. If such a request is received, we will provide this information upon receipt of the appropriate documentation.
Personal information collected may be disclosed to third parties by TR, for example:
- If you are informed at the time of collection of the information that such a disclosure may take place.
- If you are registered as a user of one of our e-recruitment services for the purpose of lodging job applications, your personal information will be made available to the organisation that you have specifically applied to. TR provides any such information to organisations for recruitment purposes only. In order to consider an application fully, your personal information may be forwarded to an organisation's global offices.
- For purposes related to the purpose for which the information was collected. For example, to complete a transaction on your behalf or to provide you with a service that you requested. In some cases we contract with other companies to perform services for us. Examples of this include sending mail, faxes and emails; processing orders; providing marketing support; deliveries; market research; debt collection agencies and storing back-up copies of our databases. We will provide them only with such information about you as they need to perform their services, but we will impose strict requirements of security and confidentiality on them in how they handle your personal information. Also, they will not be permitted to use information about you for any purpose except to perform the services we have asked them to provide.
- We may share information about you with other business units across the Thomson Reuters group of companies, so that we can provide you with products and services you have requested, and in order that they or TR can bring you information about other Thomson Reuters products and services. This may involve providing your personal information to other Thomson Reuters group companies within and outside of Australia, including the USA, for processing, servicing or marketing purposes. We will require these other Thomson Reuters group companies to agree to strict conditions governing how this information will be used. By providing your personal information you consent to the transfer of that information to entities in the Thomson Reuters group of companies located outside of Australia.
- We may disclose information about you to entities who are not part of The Thomson Reuters group of companies and who are located outside of Australia, including but not limited to the United States, in order to enable us to provide you with products or services. We will require these entities to agree to strict conditions governing how this information will be used. By providing your personal information, you consent to the transfer of that information to such entities who are located outside of Australia.
- As part of our information technology arrangements, we may transfer and disclose information about you to third party service providers located outside of Australia including, but not limited to, the United States who host data on our behalf to enable us to provide products and services to you and to communicate with you about our products and services. Such third party service providers may store and process information provided by you on servers located outside of Australia including but not limited to servers located in the United States. By providing your personal information you consent to the transfer of that information to any such third party service providers who are located outside of Australia for that purpose.
Access and correction to information we hold about you
Where practicable you will have access to the information that you provide to us and can update that information if your circumstances have changed. You may request this information by writing to:
Privacy Officer, Thomson Reuters (Professional) Australia Limited
100 Harris Street, Pyrmont NSW 2009
or sending an email to us at LTA.Privacy@thomsonreuters.com
Exceptions to this include:
- where providing access will provide a serious threat to life or health of any individual or pose an unreasonable impact on the privacy of an individual;
- your request for access is frivolous or vexatious;
- where information relates to existing legal proceedings between TR and you; or
- where providing access would be unlawful or may prejudice an investigation of possible unlawful activity.
If you wish to change your personal information, which is inaccurate or out-of-date, you must (with the exception of personal information provided in relation to the e-recruitment services, regarding which see below) notify us by sending a letter or fax signed by you and the record will be changed. Your notification should be marked for the attention of our Privacy Officer.
If you are a registered user of an e-recruitment service, for the purpose of lodging job applications, you can edit your information at any time. This includes contact details, academic results, email address, application information and password. Once an application has been sent to an organisation in relation to a job application, information contained in that particular application cannot be altered and it is your responsibility to contact the organisation to make any corrections.
Links to third parties
Security of your information online
Data transmission over the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Where you are required to log in to access a TR product or service, we recommend you always log out after each session and close the browser when finished, particularly when accessing the product or service from a public terminal. While we will strive to protect your personal information from misuse, loss and unauthorised access, we cannot guarantee the security of any information you transmit to us or receive from our online products and services. These activities are conducted at your own risk.
However, TR does provide a secure server for selected services (eg. to purchase product via Thomson Reuters' e-Store). These services use Secure Sockets Layer technology (SSL), which is the industry standard for encryption technology. SSL encryption technology makes it almost impossible to be intercepted by an unauthorised party. For obvious reasons, please do not send credit card information through unsecured electronic mail.
What to do if you have a problem or question
For further information about privacy issues and the protection of privacy, visit the Australian Federal Privacy Commissioner's web site at www.privacy.gov.au.