|Book||Class Actions in Australia, 2nd Edition (Hardcover)||22/06/2012||9780455230009||$236.00|
This highly practical text offers complete and comprehensive coverage of class action law in Australia.
Addressing the wide ranging developments since the first edition published in 2005, the authors continue to cover class action litigation fully, from commencement through choice of forum, opting-out, conduct, trial, settlement, costs and funding. Developments considered include:
- Increased frequency of court decisions on a range of issues associated with class actions, in the Federal Court and other courts;
- Practice Notes in the Federal Court and the Supreme Court of Victoria dealing specifically with class actions;
- New Federal Court Rules;
- Introduction in NSW of a class action procedure equivalent to the Federal and Victorian procedures by Part 10 of the Civil Procedure Act 2005 (NSW);
- Professor Morabito’s reports (2009, 2010) of an empirical study of the class action procedures in the Federal Court and Supreme Court of Victoria; and
- Litigation funding developments – including the High Court decision in Campbells Cash & Carry v Fostif and regulation proposals.
Damian Grave, Ken Adams and Jason Betts are among Australia’s most experienced commercial litigators. Uniquely placed to communicate and interpret new developments in this evolving area, they have fully updated the content and added new chapters on the funding of class actions and on shareholder class actions. Court materials and practice notes have been updated and extended. Assisting practitioners, the second edition also includes further examples of:
- Court-approved notices identifying group members able to maintain a claim and informing them of the proposed settlement and their right to object;
- Pleadings; and
- Notices informing group members of the commencement of proceeding and their right to opt out.
Elegantly and clearly written, Class Actions in Australia Second Edition is an essential guide for any legal practitioner involved with, or interested in, class action litigation.